Active HHANE memberships are automatically enrolled in the Third Party Liability Insurance Program through our affiliation with the HHI (Harness Horsemen International). Below is a brief summary of the coverage portions of this policy.
This summary is not meant in any way to be a concise listing of what is/is not included or excluded in the policy. Please refer to the actual policy for full information.
- This is a third party general liability insurance policy and considered a secondary policy - it only applies when you do not have another policy or your primary policy has reached its limit.
- Coverage maximum is 20 horses - if you own more you need your own policy.
- 24 hour protection provided for all HHANE members in good standing at any location where racing or training is conducted in the U.S./Canada. The general intent is to provide protection against claims alleging bodily injury or property damage caused by a member’s standardbred in connection with his standardbred horse-related business. Amounts: $1,000,000 occurrence/$5,000,000 aggregate
- Does not apply to bodily injury, property damage, or any liability sustained by someone participating in a horse race or while anywhere on a racetrack. Note: no coverage when there is applicable Worker Compensation insurance.
- Does not include suit brought by a horse owner against a member for damages to a horse in the member’s care, custody, and control.
- Inland Marine/Animal Mortality - only tracks/training centers/fair grounds specifically listed in the policy are covered. Amounts: up to $15,000 for a horse racing, up to $5,000 for a horse in training, and up to $3,000 per horse for tack (with a maximum of $10,000 tack coverage for any one owner). The intent is to provide coverage for a catastrophic event (fire, etc.). If a horse dies a claim, with vet proof, must be submitted within 30 days.